DIABETOLOGY AND LIFESTYLE MEDICINE
The mission is to provide an educational program dedicated to academic excellence that provides the essential knowledge and skills to produce competent doctors and nurture the health and well-being of the community.
Total Program Duration: 1 Year
- Months IM Elective
- 4 Months – Specialization
- USMLE I & II Optional Training
- Internal Medicine MD / Family Medicine MD
- DNB Internal Medicine
- In the view of an increasing number of diabetic cases, this course helps to hone your specialist skills, comprehensive learning for both protection and treatment of Diabetes.
- Help clinicians tackle today's most critical healthcare challenges and deliver the most relevant and current educational resources that doctors need.
- The course outlines advanced updates in the management of diabetes, thereby improving patient outcomes.
- The course will be delivered as 6 text modules and 6 video lectures, along with a bi-monthly post-test and a final examination.
- Fighting diabetes is a global responsibility and this fight can only be won through updated knowledge and global collaboration.
- This course has been developed to enhance diabetes-related knowledge and competence skills among health care providers by providing state-of-the-art diagnostic, preventive, and treatment strategies through detailed written chapters, video presentations and practical evaluations
The program’s curriculum is organized to provide increasing levels of responsibility for trainees with respect to patient care and procedure performance which is assessed on the basis of evaluating each fellow’s
- Clinical Judgement
- Clinical skills
- Medical knowledge
- Procedural Skills
- Professionalism and Communication Skills
- Leadership ability and continuing scholarship.
1. Course Objectives
- Describe the pathophysiology, presentation, diagnosis of diabetes and its complications.
- Evaluate the management options for adults newly diagnosed with diabetes (Type 1 or 2, gestational, or secondary diabetes) following national and international guidelines of diabetic care.
- Understand the importance of lifestyle modifications in the prevention of diabetes and its complications, management of obesity, use of drugs, insulin and other management options.
2. Course Modules
- Evaluation and Management of Obesity in Diabetes.
- Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in Type 2 Diabetes.
- Management of Diabetes in Elderly Population.
- Update in the Pathophysiology of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Pharmacological Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Engaging the Patient with Diabetes: Challenges and Opportunities.
3. Course Outcomes
- Recognize the role of obesity in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes as well as current recommendations for its diagnosis and management.
- Identify current concepts in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes, particularly as it relates to beta cell dysfunction and insulin resistance in the population.
- Identify practical strategies to reduce cardiovascular risk in the patient with diabetes.
Design effective and comprehensive diabetes management strategies for the elderly population with tailored lifestyle modification strategies and pharmacological interventions.
- Organize and deliver more structured care in the diabetes practice.
- Diagnose and manage type 2 diabetes with emphasis on continuous motivation and education of patients for self-care, adherence to treatment and prevention of complications.
- Recognize type 1 diabetes and refer appropriately or treat.
- Early diagnosis & management of Gestational Diabetes.
- Identify & manage risk factors and detect early diabetes complications.
- Support and advise all patients with diabetes and their families.
- Understand different models of diabetes care provision available in primary care.
- Set up and manage a robust medical records system.
Help in research at all levels of care
After assessment shows adequate performance and enough scores by the trainee, subject to which the trainee will receive an accredited certificate that shows he/she is legal to practice independently as a Consultant/Clinician in Diabetology and Life Style Medicine.